An expansion joint is a mid-structure separation designed to relieve stress on building materials caused by building movement.
An expansion joint is designed to:
- Hold building parts together
- Safely absorb temperature
- Safely absorb induced expansion
- Contract the building materials
- Absorb vibration
- Allow movement due to ground settlement
- Allow movement for seismic activity
Movement in buildings happens every day. That’s why installing expansion joints are crucial to keeping a building from failing. Whether they are 2″ wide or 12″ wide, Black Roofing & Waterproofing has installed miles of expansion joints.